the road less traveled - a story i'd read

i figure in a day and time saturated with crappy reality shows, my life is as good as any... here goes.
No Comment Labels: , , ,
So I'm at work right now, writing this little note. I was going to wait until I got home in an hour or so, but I wanted to write it "in the moment."

I'm sure many have heard the adage "…the only thing constant is change…" I think the most amazing thing about change is that most of the time we don't realize it's going on. We see ourselves a particular way, in our mind's eye. We feel we look a particular way, act a particular.. and then one day something happens that prods us to take a moment and revisit ourselves. Now whether such an event is life changing, like the passing on of a dear friend, or something small like an email from a loved one, they can both significant.

I received an email from my mom today… actually about 20 mins ago. It was simple, maybe two sentences, I was skimming it while listening to music, chatting with a co-worker and making a telephone call… and in all that, time froze. For a simple moment, I didn't know what to do, emotions welled up inside and I actually started to tear up. This was my moment for reflection…

I had a friend ask me a week or so ago whether I saw her as much younger than myself… and by "younger" she meant in some derogatory way. Initially I shrugged and said no. However, that question has played through my mind countless times since then. I find myself asking "what makes me different than the person that's 4 or 6 or even 8 years younger?" My initial answer is simple.. because I'm older.
But deep down, what's the separation? Wisdom? Life experiences? Perhaps it's this time of reflection? While I can't speak generally I'll speak for myself for a bit.

I think something that separates me, at least partially, is knowing that I'm not perfect, and I'll never be. I know that's a shock to many, it was to me. I am okay that I'm not perfect… And humility begins when we realize that there is so much greater than myself… and that the significance of our loved ones is greater than our own. Maybe the biggest difference is simply the amount of time I spend reflecting… I want to know that I'm growing in a significant measurable way… I want to deposit significantly into those that need it most; whether significantly means sharing with and comforting a friend, buying a meal, or simply saying God Bless.

(sigh) I think more than anything, the biggest change in my own life, is that I am slowly beginning to get a glimpse of the power of simple words. Love, Friend, Humility, Thank you, Confidence, Hero… and while it wasn't always the case.. I am in increasingly in amazement at the thought of my parents. While not perfect, I don't know that there are a better pair of loving, caring, God fearing people…

With that.. I close this disjointed serious of words and thoughts.
 

This Post has No Comment

Post a Comment

Older Post Newer Post

Search