the road less traveled - a story i'd read

i figure in a day and time saturated with crappy reality shows, my life is as good as any... here goes.
4 comments Labels: , , , , , , , , ,
I got a text message from a friend of mine the other day; it was his 26th birthday.  The message: I feel so old.  How could I respond?  Lately, I seem to be the vent for several of my friends who have been awakened to the fact that they're getting "older" and I'm already there.  Most of their venting and uncertainty stems around the fact that they don't know what they want to do with their lives, or they've woken up one morning and found out that they've graduated school, been working in a mundane job and don't know where the road they're on will lead.  For me it's a bit different.  I don't wake up in the morning wondering what the road holds ahead or if I'll be ready for it.  For me, the challenge is not what will I do but more how will I do it all?  I was talking to rockstar the other day and couldn't help thinking about how any one of the dozens of things I want to do could consume a lifetime.  Do I have to chose?  A career?  Serving God?  Having a wife?  Raising a family?  Caring for friends and family?  Spending time with loved ones?  Seeing the world? To anyone of these I could devote my entire life and find not enough time... Dare I tackle them all?  

I ran across a quote in my qt the other morning:

The days of the years of our lives are few, and swifter than a weaver's shuttle. Life is a short and fevered rehearsal for a concert we cannot stay to give. Just when we appear to have attained some proficiency we are forced to lay our instruments down. There is simply not time enough to think, to become, to perform what the constitution of our natures indicates we are capable of.

Those of you who know me, know I often struggle with priorities. I want to change the world, and yet I'm uncertain of how to go about it. At times I'm 70% sure, other times I'm not sure at all.  Perhaps it's old age, or perhaps it's wisdom (which in essence is old age, but an easier way of dealing with it.)  I think my priorities are setting themselves, and for the first time, I feel like I might hit that 80% mark of surety.

rockstar agrees that if I stick to these, everything else should work themselves out.

1) Love God
2) Be a good husband
3) Change the world
 

This Post has 4 Comments

12/05/2007 3:34 AM

Nice. I'm realigning myself too. I know what type of life I want, and what type of existence I don't want.



12/05/2007 10:53 AM

With potential apologies if you've heard this already. But it's one of my favorites:

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
Ghandi


J

12/05/2007 2:56 PM

freakin' time.


Anonymous

12/13/2007 4:29 PM

indeed,i don't know how will i live my life.......i am thinking about it ......


Post a Comment

Older Post Newer Post

Search