the road less traveled - a story i'd read

i figure in a day and time saturated with crappy reality shows, my life is as good as any... here goes.
No Comment Labels: , , , , ,
So it’s 1:36am right now, Phoenix time (5:36pm Seoul time). It’s weird that I have to clarify that. I’ll be on a plane in 18 hours beginning the first leg of my journey to Korea. I’ve been slightly concerned over the past couple of days that I haven’t felt nervous or even anxious about going to Korea. Looking back, I can’t say that I’ve felt much of anything regarding Korea.

Tonight several of my best friends came over to wish me off. It was a good night filled with memories, laughing, a bit of Buck’s Pizza (of course!) poker, cigars and adult beverages. As always rockstar let me win during poker but hey, I’ll take all the freebees he gives me. Lord knows I’ve lost enough money to him over the months.

After poker several of us went outside and chatted it up while smoking some of the best cigars on the planet. (The Edge ~Patel) It wasn’t until everyone was leaving that I finally started to feel a bit anxious about leaving later today. I thought back to earlier today when rockstar and I were talking about a mutual friend of ours, and how she moved across the country without a support system and now can’t wait to come home. I guess I’ve never thought about not having a support system in k-town. Hmmm, I suppose I figured I could always call, that there’d always be an open ear if I needed anything.

It’s been almost a month since I left DC, feels like yesterday. I still keep in touch with several of the friends and I can’t wait to see them all for New Years. And yet I can’t help but think that so much can change over the coming months. I notice that I hold on to moments. Perhaps we all do? But when I look back at DC and even tonight my mind captures freeze frames, I can see the picture, hear the sounds, feel the emotions of the moment. I suppose my biggest concern (if any) about going away is that those snapshots will not be an accurate representation of how things will be when I get back…

All in all, I’m glad to travel, I embrace the opportunity to become an “international man of mystery” ☺ or as Steph put it: “secret asian man!” And while I know there’s a chance that my snapshots will not be true to me, the optimist whispers of the greater memories that will be forged when we are able to go our separate ways for a season and come back to each other, cultured, developed, tested, and triumphant in our individual battles and can celebrate our victories together…

 

This Post has No Comment

Post a Comment

Older Post Newer Post

Search