the road less traveled - a story i'd read

i figure in a day and time saturated with crappy reality shows, my life is as good as any... here goes.
No Comment Labels: , , , ,
Wow, what a difference a bed makes! It took me a bit to fall asleep because of the “tootsie-roll” style pillow I used, so I put on a bit of Ravi’s lecture at the Harvard Veritas Forum and after about 30 mins I was out like a light.

This morning started with breakfast (too much), and then we did the chusok thing. We met up with my mom’s mom’s younger brother’s family at the grave of my mom’s mom’s mom and dad. There was a traffic jam at this particular cemetery and we ended up sitting in traffic for about 30 mins on the way up. There were literally thousands of people there doing the same thing. The grandmother’s brought food from their gardens along with some dishes they had made. We then served the ancestors as a way to remember and thank them for what they’ve given us, and partook of the food. On a side note, I found out that the term “one for the homies” might actually have originated in Korea! As you can see in the picture, yup, that’s my small grandpa pouring out a glass of soju for his dad. (and you thought it was a gangsta thing!) Well we’re back home, don’t know what’s on the agenda for today (my aunt and uncle still want to go hiking, although my grandpa keeps asking why they’d invite me here to hang out with the family to make me walk up a freak’n mountain.) We’ll see.

Well, it’s almost dinner time and we just got back from the ocean. It seems that Gangnun beach if you want to call it that is the third most popular place to come during the summer. We also visited “Unification Park” Hmmm there was a plane, three tanks, a boat, and a submarine. The museum wasn’t quite what my uncle and I were expecting, we literally spent three mins in it. (that’s all there was).
The ocean was nice though, and it was interesting to see gun turrets along the shore that are still manned! I met my mom’s mom’s younger brother’s oldest daughter’s family today. They have two daughters, one in junior high and one in high school. The one in junior high is currently #1 on her class while the older one is in a three way tie for first in her class. They both want to study Chinese/Eastern medicine when they graduate from college. They said they’d like to visit the states after graduation also. It’s interesting to note that although the older sister, my cousin, has been learning english for about eight years, you’d think she was a first year student. Oh yea, how can I forget, so my small uncle (my mom’s mom’s younger brother’s son) is a web developer, specializing in online academic solutions. He was quite familiar with my iPhone and said that he remembers hearing that you could purchase an iPhone to work with a Korean carrier! He asked me if i had spoken with anyone at SK telecom about it. I mentioned that I need to take someone and also told him that if he heard how to give me a call. (so there might be hope yet! assuming that I can get my iPhone unlocked again, I’ve been having one heck of a time!) Not much else going on tonight, my grandma wants me to eat again but my aunt and I both convinced her that eating two hours ago, we were still full. So it’s about nap time. I think I’ll siesta for a bit and then rejoin the family for another meal. On the bright side I suppose, my gym membership starts on Monday so I’ll be able to start losing the 2kilos I’ve gained over the weekend. Until tomorrow...
 

This Post has No Comment

Post a Comment

Older Post Newer Post

Search