the road less traveled - a story i'd read

i figure in a day and time saturated with crappy reality shows, my life is as good as any... here goes.
No Comment Labels: , ,



So I’m experiencing the real “country” here in Korea. I went with my aunt and her husband to his family’s house in the backwoods of Korea. We arrived last night around 1AM. I ended up sleeping on the floor in my cousin’s room. I suppose this is sort of the thing you’d think of when you think of Korean “hillbillies.” They’re good people, work hard, prioritize family, and enjoy life. They appreciate the simple things like a cup of coffee and a good Korean drama on tv. This morning my aunt’s mother-in-law started making kimchee (a type of fermented cabbage). She’s making enough for her three sons and three daughters to take home with them after Chuseok.
I suppose I should take a second to explain Chuseok. It’s the Korean version of Thanksgiving, except it lasts a few days. Tomorrow morning the entire family will visit the graves of their ancestors and offer thanks and respect. In the mean time, we hang out and listen to my aunt’s father-in-law tell us stories of how he spent time in the military working with American back in the late 50’s and early 60’s. There’s a friend of the family here that works for an international trade company, so he’s able to make conversation a little easier between all of us. The women of the house are making what seems like a hundred pounds of kimchee while the men of the house (myself included, because I’m old) sit and talk while eating a type of boiled beef, some of the freshly made kimchee, and drinking a couple bottles of soju (korean rise whiskey). I’ve had intermittent access to internet while I’ve been here, actually that’s kind of a stretch, I got on for about 30 seconds earlier today. I’m going to work with my cousin Ingie (eengee) to get online at some point. Ingie really enjoys watching CSI, 24 and Prison Break.

Until next time...


*interesting cultural point: so every relative basically has a different title. So my aunt’s husband isn’t my uncle he’s actually my aunt’s husband. For my little cousin Ho-gwon, his dad’s older brother isn’t is uncle, it’s actually his “older dad.” This is differentiated from his dad’s younger brother who is referred to as his “younger dad.” So my aunt’s husband’s dad is referred to as ahbujee, or father, while my aunt’s husband’s dad’s older brother, is referred to as kun ahbujee, or “older father.” The End.
 

This Post has No Comment

Post a Comment

Older Post Newer Post

Search