the road less traveled - a story i'd read

i figure in a day and time saturated with crappy reality shows, my life is as good as any... here goes.
2 comments Labels: , , , , , ,

Today was a productive day.  And by productive I don't necessarily mean that I left my room, although I did.  I showered, had some qt, ate kimbap, ate some brown eggs (and I really mean brown, as in the eggs whites were egg browns... and it was a bit chewy, and the uhh "browns" had a flavor.. my housemate told me it's because of the way it's cooked.  Right.) I did some laundry, did quite a bit of homework, even got out of the house a bit to venture to starbucks.  So this is where I begin my blog.. (after which I will hit the books again).

It seems the big word for the past couple of decades, has been "globalization."  And the center of globalization is becoming (or has become) the multinational organization.  And while some will argue that there is really no such thing as a "multinational" organization, I really don't care.  Globalization has it's ups and downs.  On the good side, as I mentioned I visited starbucks earlier today and the familiar surroundings made studying there quite comfortable.  For one, they have good coffee.  Now I know some of you will disagree, but since arriving in Korea I can't say that I've had a cup of good coffee.  I even went to Hyundai (the 8 story we have everything department store and ended up with two boxes of instant coffee.)  One is Nescafe, the other is Taster's Choice original except it's not really original because it comes pre-sweetened.  So I've been drinking watered down sugar-coffee out of a glorified shot glass "they" call a coffee cup for the past three weeks.  Starting tomorrow, that's all gonna change!
Not only did I pick up a french press and a starbucks korean coffee mug, but also a bag of the black apron exclusive!  Now while this might seem insignificant to many, to me, it's a day changer!   (Not only is extra bold sumatra a great jump start to the day, but according to wikipedia, coffee's also a natural laxative/diuretic!).  You also have the benefits of the 24 hour McDonalds and Burger Kings!  I know, some of you are thinking McDonalds = not healthy, but au contraire! A New York Times article actually states that because of the increase in "western foods," actually "The height and weight of younger Japanese have increased strikingly, reflected in the need to buy larger school desks. The decrease in salt consumption has strikingly reduced the number of deaths from stroke and from stomach cancer. And the incidence of infectious diseases like pneumonia and tuberculosis, caused by malnutrition, has dropped." Well let's chalk all that onto the positives of globalization.  Now on to the negatives:
Sure people are always mentioning things like depressed wages, worker exploitation, child labor and other ills of globalization... but let me by quoting the aforementioned New York Times article again, "there has been a significant increase in the mortality rate from colon, lung, rectal and liver cancer among men" [who generally eat out more often than women because Japanese women more often stay home and don't work].  Okay, so maybe some of this "western globalization" has adverse side effects, but weighed against the positive effects mentioned above, I'll just say they cancel each other out.  Now let me hit on the "elephant in the room," if I may.  What about all the obesity?!  I mean honestly, I always hear about the American obesity problem, why is it an American problem?  Let me tell you something: IT'S NOT.  Perhaps the biggest negative effect of globalization is all the "overly-healthy" people it's creating?  I know when you picture the "typical" asian you think of someone like Takeru Kobayashi, the  92 pound Japanese competitive food eating champ that can scarf  70 hot dogs in 4 seconds, or something like that, but what about all those in the shadows?  The people who are eating three bulgogi-burger meals a day, super-sized and then washing them down with venti caramel macchiatos? WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!?!?!?!?!  (sorry, it seemed appropriate).  Don't think they exist? Trust me they do... still don't believe me?  I was at McDonalds the other night and gathered evidence... Perhaps the end result of globalization is not "making the world a smaller place" as many claim, but perhaps it's really making the world a bigger place?
 

This Post has 2 Comments

9/18/2007 6:15 AM

wow tim. My only question is, how are the fat people hiding in the shadows?



9/18/2007 8:20 AM

a lot of "healthy" people = a lot of big shadows to hide in...


Post a Comment

Older Post Newer Post

Search